I love strawberries! They are one of my favorite sweet snacks and when the stores fill up with this berry it is a sure sign that summer is on its way, especially here in Norway.
Strawberries are a powerhouse full of antioxidants and may help fight cancer due to the high content.
Strawberries may also:
- Reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease by preventing platelet build-up and reducing blood pressure via anti-inflammatory mechanisms.
- Help to lower homocysteine levels, an amino acid in the blood associated with damaging the inner lining of arteries.
- Act as a natural anti-inflammatory due to the quercetin content.
- Protect against stroke due to anti-inflammatory antioxidants.
- Lower blood pressure due to the high potassium content.
- Help against constipation due to the high fiber content.
Strawberries are also a low glycemic fruit making them an ok choice for diabetics as well. Make sure to choose organic if you can or wash conventional strawberries in a water and vinegar solution to wash off some of the pesticides.
Enjoy them with fresh basil and a good balsamic vinegar for a healthy and exciting treat:)