Are you like me; you like to have your cake and eat it too? That is why I had to develop a guilt-free chocolate cupcake using healthy and clean ingredients!
These cupcakes are “low gluten” meaning there is only a smaller amount of gluten in them and a different kind of gluten as I only use spelt flour. The gluten in spelt is different from the gluten found in wheat. Therefore if you are gluten sensitive, like me, your body can handle spelt much better.
I have also used almond flour to get a rich and moist texture and I only use coconut sugar or an organic maple syrup when making sweets as they are not refined, have more nutrients, are more blood sugar friendly and taste great as well.
The frosting is made from soaked cashews so they are dairy free as well and when combined with fresh orange juice and zest the taste is amazing. 🙂 I hope you enjoy!
Carina’s Guilt- Free “Low Gluten” Chocolate Cupcakes (serves 8-10)
You will need for the cupcakes:
- 100 grams almond flour
- 70 grams whole grain spelt flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 ts. Himalaya salt
- 2 tbs. chia seeds
- 25 grams chopped walnuts
- 4 tbs. raw cacao powder
- 60 grams coconut sugar
- 4 tbs. meltet coconut oil
- 2/3 (1 dl) almond, cashew or coconut milk
- 2 ts. baking powder
- Mix all the dry ingredients before adding all the wet ingredients. Mix well and add the chopped walnuts.
- Add the mixture to cupcake molds and bake at 200 degrees celsius for 12- 15 minutes depending on the size.
- Let cool before frosting.
For the frosting:
- 260 grams about 2 cups of soaked cashews.
- 4 tbs. maple syrup
- 7 tbs. fresh orange juice
- Zest from one orange
- 2 tbs. melted coconut oil
- 5 tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup ( 5 tbs) almond, cashew or coconut milk
- Pinch of Himalaya salt
- Soak the cashews in water for 6- 8 hours. Rinse well.
- Add to a high speed blender and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix until completely smooth.
- Let set in the fridge before adding to a piping bag.
- Garnish with orange zest, chocolate, cacao nibs or walnuts.
- Enjoy! 🙂