I love ice cream, but my body and health does not love diary… Therefore I had to develop a dairy- free, healthy and delicious alternative because who wants to live a life without ice cream?!
The store bought kind is also full of additives, colouring and things I really don’t want to put into my body, and especially when I know how easy and fun it is to make my own at home.
This recipe i vegan, easy to make as well as loaded with antioxidants when you use a high quality, raw cacao powder and add cacao nibs and walnuts.
Best results are achieved when using an ice cream machine, but of course you can make it using a freezer, a bowl and a fork to whip air into it about every 30 min.
You will need:
- 500 ml full fat coconut milk
- 4 tbs. raw cacao powder
- 6 tbs.maple sirup
- 1 ts. vanilla extract
- A pinch of Himalaya salt
- 2tbs. Maizena corn starch
- Cacao nibs
- Mix all the ingredients, except for the corn starch, in a pot and bring to boil, taking care to stir all the time so it doesn’t burn.
- When the mixture is boiling add the corn starch and let simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Add to a bowl and let cool before refrigerating for at least 3 hours to chill and let set before adding to an ice cream machine or the freezer.
- Add the cacao nibs and chopped walnuts following the instructions for the ice cream machine or when the mixture has started to freeze if making manually.
Watch how I make my chocolate ice cream in my video. I speak Norwegian but it is subtitled in english:)