Spelt crackers with garlic and herbs
I love crackers for an easy savoy snack and of course they are essential for cheese and cracker evenings with wine! But the store bought kind are full of refined wheat, sugar, unhealthy fats and other additives, so I decided to develop my own healthy recipe using all natural ingredients and wholemeal organic spelt flour.
Great for your blood sugar, body and tastebuds! This recipe is from my latest book Carina’s Healthy Kitchen.
- 1 cup (150 grams) whole grain spelt flour
- ½ ts. garlic powder
- ½ ts. onion powder
- 1 ts. salt
- ¾ cups water
- 4 tbs. olive oil
- 4 tbs. dried thyme, oregano or basil.
- Sift all the dry ingredients and mix well together before adding the wet ingredients. Using your hands, or a kitchen machine, form into a smooth dough.
- Place the dough on a sheet of parchment paper and using a rolling pin roll the dough thinly making sure it is not thicker than approximately 3 m.m.
- Use a knife or a cookie cutter (for round crackers) and make lines in the dough for where you want to snap the crackers after they are baked. I use a cookie cutter and stamp out the crackers completeley before baking. This results in a professional looking cracker.
- Brush the dough with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt before baking.
- Bake on a roasting tray at 200 degrees celsius for 10- 15 minutes until crisp and golden. Let cool and then snap crackers into shape if you’ve used the knife method.